Saturday, November 28, 2009

Ribs and Ridges

It's been ages since I properly blogged! I have been working hard on the projects for my final swap, which I mailed out last week. My partner is in Canada, so she hasn't gotten them yet and that means I can't blog about them. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise.

However, I can blog about the awesome hat I made for DADA. It's one of my favorite hats of all time. I brought it to Disney last weekend on our impromptu vacation and it did a nice job protecting me from the rain.



Yarn: Malabrigo Merino Worsted in Whales Road
Mods: Either the pattern has an error, or I made an error (more likely). I ended up having to completely fudge the placement of the last set of ribs. It's an easy pattern though, so doing this was just a matter of moving them over a few extra stitches.



Let me just say that I LOVE this hat. The pattern was simple and completely addictive (and free!). I finished the entire thing in half a day because I couldn't put it down. It fits perfectly too.



The pattern is an excellent choice for variegated yarns. The ribs and ridges are chunky enough to stand out against a mix of colors that would obscure a more subtle pattern. I'm one of those knitters/crocheters that loves variegated yarn, but never knows how to show it off in a project. I think that the Whales Road (which is a mix of all of my favorite colors) was the right choice for this project. It looks great!

In other knitting news, I finished my February Lady Sweater last night! I bought some buttons for it this morning. All I have to do is block the thing and sew them on. Of course, the yoke is still too big so the darn thing looks horribly bunchy under my arms, but at least it's done. Maybe the blocking will help improve this problem. I'm taking it as a learning experience. No one's first sweater comes out perfect, right? It's a lesson for next time. Don't make the yoke "just a few rows bigger, in case." That sounds so stupid when I say it out loud. Why did I do that??

No comments:

Post a Comment