Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Kitty Toys and Crafty Earrings

Well, I finally figured out what to do for my Charms assignment. Try as I might, I just wasn't feeling this class when it was first posted. I had no idea when to make for it. I didn't want to make useless junk, and I wanted to somehow fit one of the swap items I'm working on into it. Luckily, the perfect projects came to me yesterday.

The assignment was based on the Reducio charm. We had to make something, then make a miniature version of it. Only a genius like me would come up with a cat toy/earrings combo for this (kidding . . . mostly).

First up, the cat toys.



Pattern: I made it up myself! I'm not patting myself on the back too hard though, it's just a crochet ball.
Yarn: Lily Sugar and Cream in Yellow and Hot Blue
Special Materials: These are stuffed with a healthy amount of cat nip.

I crocheted these out of small amounts of worsted weight cotton with a G hook. Yellow and blue are my favorite color combination and I'm really happy with how cheery these came out.



Of course, I have no idea if I put in too much cat nip or not enough. I think cats are completely adorable, but a life of hair all over everything and stinky litter boxes isn't for me. I figure that if I can smell it from outside the toy (which I certainly can), then a cat will be able to. I hope my partner enjoys these once I mail them. Well, more accurately, I hope her cats enjoy them.

Next, the earrings:



Pattern: Again, I made it up myself! It's almost exactly the same as the toys.
Yarn: JP Coats Crochet Thread in Golden Yellow



These came out really cute. I made the yellow beads using the same pattern as the toys, minus a set of increases and a body row (and the cap nip). I think that was a good call as they are verging on being too big.



I'm excited for these since I can actually wear them out regardless of how hot it is. Too many of the things I make are relegated to a drawer until winter comes.

So, my mission of fitting a swap item into this assignment is completed! Now I have to move on to completing herbology and getting started on arithmancy! I have too much on my plate this month. I'm sick too now. I've got some kind of cold that has me dried out and stuffed up. I'm hoping that it doesn't get any worse tomorrow. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment