Monday, October 19, 2009

The Flies

So, I haven't blogged about this particular topic yet, but I I think we're at a point where this bears reporting.

For the past month, my husband and I have been living in a fly-infested apartment. It was terrible. There were flies everywhere. Every time one of us would make food or get a drink we'd be slapping flies away from it. We'd try to make dinner and flies would be buzzing around our heads, driving us crazy. It was BAD. They were EVERYWHERE.

Obviously, we had a big problem. It goes without saying that our number one priority was getting rid of the flies. Our problem was that we could not figure out where they were coming from. We saw most of them in the kitchen area, which happens to be right around the corner from my bunny's cage. I keep Weatherby's cage very clean on a regular basis, but I started to clean it every single day just in case that's where the flies were breeding. I didn't think that the flies could be coming from him, because I never saw any flies or maggots in there, but I stepped up the cleaning just in case. It didn't make a real difference. That's not where the flies were coming from.

So then we moved onto the kitchen. We looked everywhere for the source of the flies. We thought that maybe a potato had rolled into a corner somewhere and rotted or something. But no, there was nothing unusual- and there was no rotting smell anywhere. We started taking our garbage out every single night just in case that's where the flies were spawning. This didn't make a difference either.

It was driving us absolutely crazy. We are not dirty people and we keep our apartment VERY clean! It just didn't make sense. There had to be a breeding area somewhere that we were just missing. We were on the point of calling our landlady to look into it when I found where the flies were coming from.



This is our new rice maker. My husband received it as a birthday present about a month ago. Curious coincidence, right? We use it all the time. I had noticed flies hanging out around it before, but I thought that they had just happened to land there, because flies can't possibly be breeding in the rice maker, right? WRONG.



On the back of the unit is a little plastic reservoir that catches excess water from the steam produced when rice cooks. As I was packing my husband's lunch last night, I happened to catch a glimpse of this plastic cover out of the corner of my eye. It was FULL of wriggling little maggots. I had no idea that this cover existed, that it was removable or that I was supposed to be cleaning it. It isn't mentioned in the instructions for the rice maker, which I read from cover to cover when we received it. It's on the back of the unit, so why would I ever think to look for it? When you clean the rice maker, you just remove the interior pot where the rice goes. You don't wash the base at all.



So I snapped off this cover (which came right off, because I'm apparently supposed to be cleaning this piece whenever I make rice), and got rid of the maggots. Now I am a little wiser about rice cooker maintenance and our fly problems are (hopefully) solved.

The real victim in this is poor little Weatherby, whom we all slandered by assuming that he was the cause of the flies. Sorry buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment