Thursday, May 21, 2009

Straw Into Gold

Today is unmercifully hot and sunny, which means that I was able to take some pictures of my scarf! Yay!

Photobucket

Pattern: No pattern. I used the "Wavy Shell Stitch" pattern I found in my crochet dictionary.
Yarn: Knit Picks Shine Worsted in Caution (6 skeins)


Photobucket

The assignment was to create something based on a muggle fairy tale, and I chose Rumplestiltskin and the idea of spinning straw into gold as my inspiration. The pattern looks like little piles of gold coins and the tassels on the ends represent straw.

Photobucket

I'm so happy with this project. The finished scarf measures about 6.5” wide and 5’10” long including the tassels. I will be proud to wear this scarf once it gets cold out. I'm usually such a "follow the pattern line by line" kind of knitter that making this scarf really took me out of my comfort zone. I had to decide everything about yarn weight, hook size, stitch pattern, tassel length and so on. It's a one-of-a-kind item now! I definitely want to design more pieces myself in the future.

And now for the promised yarn pr0ns from yesterday:

Photobucket

Malabrigo Laceweight in Purple Mystery

Photobucket

Dream in Color Baby in Ruby River

Photobucket

Madelinetosh Tosh Lace in Warm Maize

I love everything, but the Tosh Lace is the star of this show. The color is rich and saturated and it feels so . . . classy. Soft and expensive feeling. It's hard to describe, but I love it. This is a new yarn. I think I will need a skein in every color.

No comments:

Post a Comment