Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tough Times

You know, I am really sick of the economy these days.

You can't turn on the television or read an article in the newspaper without hearing about the current economic crisis. People are losing their jobs, there is no money for things like education and health care and everyone is suffering. It is amazing how the greed of the people at the top of our society has affected us peons living at the bottom of it.

My husband found out yesterday that his teaching position is being eliminated from his school, due to budgetary concerns. He hasn't lost his job yet, but he will have to move to a different location in the county for the start of the next school year. The existence of another job isn't an 100% guarantee, but it is more than likely he will get another placement. Thank God.

The bad in this is that he is depressed. He has lost the momentum he gained from putting everything he had into this school, and doing a damn good job of it. His county is HUGE, so we may have to move out from my parents' house before we are ready. All of my substitute teaching experience is in the county neighboring his. If he gets another job far away and we have to move, I will have lost all the progress I made here, trying to show my face around and make connections. In effect, we might have to both start over.

The good is that he still probably has a job, and that's not something everyone who has been affected by this economic downturn can say. He might end up in a high school, or even 7th or 8th grade, which he would greatly prefer. Moving out on our own would cause us to live pretty meagerly, but it would probably be a good thing over all.

We will be okay. I know we will because we have to go on living. There's no real use in sitting and being depressed about this because this happens to a lot of teachers and there's nothing we can do about it. None of that stops the event from being a crushing blow to us. We were starting to get comfortable here and now we have to move on and possibly start over somewhere else. How long are we going to have to wait to start a family and move on with our lives? I'm disappointed. There's no disguising it. I hope my husband, who is the BEST teacher and the BEST partner in the world isn't hurt too badly by this.

To console ourselves yesterday he let me order an embarrassing amount of lace weight yarn from Knit Picks and he ordered a whole slew of Magic cards online. We have made a deal with each other - he is going to learn knitting and I am going to learn how to play Magic with him. We will pick up each other's hobbies and have some fun together. We will concentrate on ourselves and our relationship and let the rest of life's events come as they may. Together, we will get through anything.

After the spending spree we decided to go on a pretty strict budget. We need to have enough socked away to move if his new job ends up being far away. He won't know anything at all for two months. The waiting is the hardest thing. This whole situation sucks - and it has to be fraught with uncertainty too. That's why I went nuts with the lace weight. You get a lot of knitting out of skinny yarns!

I don't think my Charms OWL will be finished in time for the HPKCHC deadline. I have been working diligently on it, but it's taking way longer than I thought it would. I love the project though and I am having fun, so that's okay. I will post some update pictures in my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment